Elementary - Ages 5 to 10
At this stage in life, children are expressive, social, curious, and full of wonder. They like to explore their interests and every day they are developing skills they will use as adults. While they like to be thought of as “big kids,” they still need your parenting as much as they did when they were toddlers.
Behavior and Discipline
- Child Development Institute – Ways to talk so kids will listen.
- One Tough Job – Being a positive parent can be tough!
- Positive Discipline Booklet – Learn how to negotiate the challenges of parenting.
- Chesterfield-Colonial Heights Department of Social Services: Learn more about quality child care.
- Virginia Child Care Resource and Referral Network: Talk to a professional about your child care needs.
- Virginia Department of Social Services: Find child care providers in your area.
- Virginia Star Quality Initiative: What does quality child care look like?
- Ages and Stages: 6-8 Year Olds – Quick reference guide for your child’s milestones.
- Ages and Stages: 9-11 Year Olds – Quick reference guide for your child’s milestones.
- Child Development Institute – Raising school aged children can be awesome!
Education and Learning
- Child Development Institute – How do I help my child succeed in school?
- Great Schools – Involved parents equals successful kids.
- One Tough Job – Find out how to get involved in your child’s education.
Health, Nutrition and Safety
- Consumer Product Safety Commission – Up-to-date information on recalls and products your family uses.
- Healthy Children – Answers to many health questions that new parents have.
- Kids Health – What you need to know about raising a healthy family.
- National Safety Council – What you can do to keep you and your family safe at home.
Mental Health and Substance Abuse
- American Association for Child and Adolescent Psychiatry – Find your facts here when you have questions about your child’s emotions or behaviors.
- Autism – Learn more about autism resources for your family.
- SAFE, Inc. – Chesterfield County working together to prevent substance abuse
- The Partnership at DrugFree.org – Support, tools and tips from experts and parents.