Middle School - Ages 11-13
The transition from childhood to the teen years can be both exciting and unsettling for parents and children. As preteens go through changes in their bodies, thinking, emotions, and relationships with others, parents face changing roles and a growing list of questions and concerns.
Behavior and Discipline
- Child Development Institute – Ways to talk so kids will listen.
- One Tough Job – Being a positive parent can be tough!
- Positive Discipline Booklet – Learn how to negotiate the challenges of parenting.
- Chesterfield-Colonial Heights Department of Social Services: Learn more about quality child care.
- Virginia Child Care Resource and Referral Network: Talk to a professional about your child care needs.
- Virginia Department of Social Services: Find child care providers in your area.
- Virginia Star Quality Initiative: What does quality child care look like?
- Ages and Stages: 9-11 Year Olds – Quick reference guide for your child’s milestones.
- Child Development Institute – When your children need you more than ever.
- Family Doctor – What to expect when your child goes through puberty
Education and Learning
- Child Development Institute – How do I help my child succeed in school?
- Great Schools – Involved parents equals successful kids.
- One Tough Job – Find out how to get involved in your child’s education.
Health, Nutrition and Safety
- National Safety Council – What you can do to keep you and your family safe at home.
- Consumer Product Safety Commission – Up-to-date information on recalls and products your family uses.
- Healthy Children – Answers to many health questions that new parents have.
- Kids Health – What you need to know about raising a healthy family.
Mental Health and Substance Abuse
- American Association for Child and Adolescent Psychiatry – Find your facts here when you have questions about your child’s emotions or behaviors.
- Autism – Learn more about autism resources for your family.
- SAFE, Inc. – Chesterfield County working together to prevent substance abuse
- The Partnership at DrugFree.org – Support, tools and tips from experts and parents.