How can I dispose of household items that won't fit in my trash cans?
Please call Central Virginia Waste Management Authority's Collection Hotline at (804) 425-0500. Limited amounts of bulky waste (furniture, water heaters and appliances) will be collected at the curb on your regular collection day. The amount should not exceed the capacity of a 1/2 ton pickup truck.

Appliances that contain Freon (refrigerators, freezers, air conditioners) require special handling. You must pay a $10 fee for the safe removal of the Freon prior to pickup. Submit your fee to the City of Colonial Heights Treasurer's Office. Put the receipt in a zip top bag and place it inside the appliance on the day of collection.

Collection of large amounts of bulky material (or more than would fit into a pickup truck) must be arranged in advance. A fee may be charged. Collection may occur on a day that is different from your regular collection day. For more information visit

Show All Answers

1. What are the hours of the City's Recycling Center?
2. How can I get a new recycle bin?
3. How can I dispose of household items that won't fit in my trash cans?
4. What time of day should I put my trash cans on the street?
5. How do I get additional waste cans and what is the cost?
6. What is the collection day for household trash?
7. What is the collection day for recyclables?
8. How do I obtain a replacement trash can?
9. How do I dispose of household hazardous waste?
10. Who do I contact about a drainage problem?
11. Who do I contact about having a tree trimmed or removed from a public right of way?
12. Who is responsible for repairs to an existing driveway or the installation of a new one?
13. How do I determine if a tree is on city property?
14. How do I get my leaves removed from the sidewalk/roadside in front of my property?
15. Who do I contact about a sidewalk that is broken?
16. How often are the streets swept in our neighborhood?
17. How do I report a pothole or other depression that needs to be fixed?
18. When will my street be treated and/or plowed?
19. How do I report high grass that needs to be cut in a public right-of-way?
20. How do I report a street light that is out?