Early Childhood - Ages Birth to 5
From the first day of life to the first day of kindergarten, children grow faster than at any other time in their lives. The first five years of life literally shape how the brain gets built, laying the foundation for a lifetime of learning. Parents are their children’s first and most important teachers.
Behavior and Discipline
- Discipline for Your Children- A workbook for parents of young children.
- One Tough Job – Being a positive parent can be tough!
- Positive Discipline – Learn how to negotiate the challenges of parenting
- Chesterfield-Colonial Heights Department of Social Services - Learn more about quality child care.
- Virginia Child Care Resource and Referral Network - Talk to a professional about your child care needs.
- Virginia Department of Social Services - Find child care providers in your area.
- Virginia Quality Initiative - What does quality child care look like?
- PBS Parents – What are the milestones for your child’s first five years?
Early Education and Learning
- Born Learning - Help shape your child’s world.
- PBS Parents – You are your child’s first and most important teacher.
- Zero to Three – Because early experiences matter.
Health, Nutrition and Safety
- Healthy Children – Answers to many health questions that new parents have.
- Kids Health – What you need to know about raising a healthy family.
- Oral Health - Answers to many questions about pediatric oral health.
- AARP: GrandFamilies Guide - Learn more about the basics of grandparents raising grandchildren.
- Child Development Institute - Fact-filled expert articles offer parenting tips, life-changing insight and easy ways to become a better parent.
- FAMRichmond - Children are a gift, but they don’t come with instructions.
- One Tough Job - Find information especially for dads.
- Chesterfield Kinship Grandparent Connection - Senior Advocate's office that offers two monthly support groups and resources for grandparents and other kin who are raising a child.