Early Childhood - Ages Birth to 5
From the first day of life to the first day of kindergarten, children grow faster than at any other time in their lives. The first five years of life literally shape how the brain gets built, laying the foundation for a lifetime of learning. Parents are their children’s first and most important teachers.
Behavior and Discipline
- Discipline for Young Children- A workbook for parents of young children.
- One Tough Job – Being a positive parent can be tough!
- Positive Discipline Booklet – Learn how to negotiate the challenges of parenting
- Chesterfield-Colonial Heights Department of Social Services - Learn more about quality child care.
- Virginia Child Care Resource and Referral Network - Talk to a professional about your child care needs.
- Virginia Department of Social Services - Find child care providers in your area.
- Virginia Star Quality Initiative - What does quality child care look like?
- Child Development Institute – Find out about the ages and stages of your child’s development.
- PBS Parents – What are the milestones for your child’s first five years?
Early Education and Learning
- Born Learning - Help shape your child’s world.
- PBS Parents – You are your child’s first and most important teacher.
- Zero to Three – Because early experiences matter. The Basics - Give your child a great start in life.
Health, Nutrition and Safety
- Healthy Children – Answers to many health questions that new parents have.
- Kids Health – What you need to know about raising a healthy family.
- AARP: GrandFamilies Guide - Learn more about the basics of grandparents raising grandchildren
- Child Development Institute - The challenges and rewards of single parenting.
- FAMRichmond - Children are a gift, but they don’t come with instructions.
- One Tough Job - Find information especially for dads.
Social and Emotional Development